（Click to zoom in the poster）
The Wu Zhi Qiao (Bridge to China) Charitable Foundation is a charity registered in Hong Kong (no: 91/8739). We exist to build footbridges and village facilities in poor villages in the Mainland with the help of Hong Kong and Mainland university students, thereby building a spiritual bridge with love, appreciation and mutual understanding through inter-university initiatives. Over the years, the Foundation has provided over 3,000 university students and volunteers real-life experience to execute a service project which has a direct impact. Some of our projects have won international accolades in green designs and regional significance.
“Back to Earth” Summer Internship Programme
Construction with earthen materials, as one of the oldest traditional technology, was widely applied all over villages of China during the past thousands of years. It has been Wu Zhi Qiao’s long term endeavour to improve living conditions of villagers through advancing traditional construction wisdom by introducing and localizing international advanced technique and modern technology. In our collaborative demonstration projects with the Ministry of Housing, Rural and Urban Development, Wu Zhi Qiao has been introducing an advanced rammed earth construction method for villagers to build safe, comfortable, decent and modern dwellings with comparable construction cost and ease.
The advanced construction method was also spread to 8 provinces since 2011, with over 130 rammed-earth demonstration houses being built by local villagers. More than 400 craftsmen and villagers have been trained as “trainers” to further promulgate the method in their own villages.
To share the achievement and promulgate the concept of sustainability of the project, “Back to Earth – Earth Architecture Exhibition” will be held in Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture (北京建築大學) during the 10th anniversary of Wu Zhi Qiao this year. Wu Zhi Qiao is now inviting energetic, passionate and creative young souls to join this summer internship programme to realise this exhibition together with a group mainland students and professionals in the field.
Through the internship, you will have a chance to:
• learn about indigenous architecture, advanced rammed earth building method;
• understand sustainable architecture concepts and how technology innovation improves lives;
• gain experience in the preparation of an exhibition;
• work with university students from Mainland China/overseas;
• develop your social and organizational skills;
• direct energy and passion to a charity cause, and help promote sustainability concepts.
Location and Schedule
• Beijing: 1.5-2 months during Jun-Aug 17 (dates slightly negotiable)
• Hong Kong: Sept/Oct (debriefing and sharing sessions)
Key engagements during the Internship
• To learn the advanced rammed earth technology and concepts of sustainable architecture through programme briefing;
• To support the planning and execution of the “Back to Earth – Earth Architecture Exhibition” under professional guidance;
• To design and complete the exhibition panels and earth-based exhibits, and participate in the design and construction of earth-based landscape facilities on campus;
• To introduce Wu Zhi Qiao and related projects and achievements on earth construction to the public during the trial operation period of exhibition; and
• To consolidate experience and share with the team/public by reflective journals and sharing session.
• Full time university student
• Share the same mission and values with Wu Zhi Qiao
• Good command of spoken and written Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) and English
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Open minded, creative, independent and with a can-do attitude
• A good team player and multi-tasking skill
• All disciplines, applicants with visual design and architecture studies background and/or related experiences are preferred
No. of Placements: 10
All interns are expressed to support on voluntary basis. Travelling subsidies will be provided and details will be shared to the enrolled participants. For interested applicants, please send in your application with below details:
1. Why you would like to be part of the internship programme;
2. How you could contribute in the programme;
3. Your availability.
Please send your application letter and CV to email@example.com
All information will be treated in strict confidence and only used for the internship application purpose. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the interview.